Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is Mollie Katzen's from her Moosewood Cookbook, and it is so delicious and easy to prepare.
- butter, for the pan
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8-in square pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl combine the wet ingredients.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing only enough to thoroughly combine.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the center is firm to the touch.
- Serve at any temperature.
After 30 minutes of baking this became a light,golden, cake-like corn bread, not too fat laden and not too sweet. Just about right, to my taste.
I made this to use with recipe 85855 and it was great with it!! I've frozen some of the leftovers and it will be used, probably, on the same recipe sooner than later. Thanks KelseyE