4 hrs 15 mins
Even though Christmas Day in Australia can be scorching, in my family we still have to have Christmas pudding or it's just not the same! This one has the bonus of choc chips scattered throughout :-) Untested by me as yet. From Woolworths Fresh Magazine Dec '07. NB 1 cup = 250ml
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 375 g dried mixed fruit (dried fruit medley)
- 150 g raisins
- 125 g soft dried figs
- 100 g glace cherries
- 150 g sultanas
- 100 g currants
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons marmalade (1 tblsp = 20ml)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 100 g macadamias, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup brandy, to serve (optional)
- 1Chop fruit medley, raisins, figs and cherries. Combine in a large bowl with sultanas and currants, pour over brandy and mix well. Cover and stand overnight.
- 2Grease an 8 cup (2 litre) pudding basin and line the base with a small circle of baking paper.
- 3Beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy (use electric mixer). Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in marmalade.
- 4Sift flour, spices and bicarb soda together. Fold into butter mixture with breadcrumbs, soaked fruit, nuts and choc bits.
- 5Spoon mixture into prepared pudding basin and smooth the top. Cover basin with baking paper and secure tightly with string. Cover with foil or basin lid. (If using foil, tie more string under the rim to secure, and then make a string handle over the top to make removal from pan easier).
- 6Place pudding basin on a trivet or upturned saucer in a large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the basin. Cover pan and simmer for 4 hours - add more boiling water as necessary to maintain the water level.
- 7Remove basin from pan and cool. Cover and refrigerate pudding in the basin.
- 8Reheat (using same method as Step 6) for 2 hours. Turn onto a serving plate. Gently warm 1/4 cup brandy in a small saucepan. Using a long match, ignite brandy and CAREFULLY pour over the pudding.
- 9Alternatively, you can reheat individual slices in the microwave - a bonus if it's stinking hot or space on your stove-top is at a premium!
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Christmas Fruit Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1089.4
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 172.9 mg
- Sodium 359.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 166.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 91.1 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: