Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A light recipe for those of us counting our calories and fat grams! If you do not eat the skin of the chicken, it only has 310 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving, and is quite satisfying!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (brown or regular is fine)
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1⁄2 cup chopped prune
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix all ingredients except chicken.
- Fill body cavity and neck cavity of the chicken with the rice mixture.
- Make sure not to pack the stuffing to tight, as this inhibits even and full cooking of the chicken.
- Tie if or as desired.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 1 hour 45 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Remove and discard skin.