Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Now that rhubarb season is here this is a wonderful way to use some of it uip. I think I found this in an older Bon Appetit - Enjoy. This makes a lot and can be halved.
- 2 lbs strawberries, halved if large
- 1 lb rhubarb, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- Place 1-1/2 lbs. of strawberries and rhubarb in med. sized heavy saucepan.
- Add sugar, ginger, lime juice and peel.
- Cook over high heat until sugar dissolves, stirring often.
- Boil 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer just until rhubarb is beginning to fall apart, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining strawberries.
- Chill until very cold.
- Great served for breakfast with some yoghurt or for dessert over pound cake.