Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
The sweetness of apples mellow the rhubarb while the rhubarb's tartness perks up the apple. This is a great make-ahead option if you have an abundance of rhubarb!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb or 3 cups frozen sliced rhubarb, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup sliced peeled tart apple
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (frozen ok)
- coarse sugar
- In a large saucepan, stir together granulated sugar, tapioca, ginger and nutmeg.
- Stir in rhubarb and apples until coated; let stand about 15 minutes or until a syrup begins to form, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes or just until fruit is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool filling completely.
- Prepare pastry and divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out each portion to a 12" square.
- Cut each portion into 4 6" squares.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil; grease foil and set aside.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of th cooked rhubarb mixture onto half of one pastry square, leaving a 1" border around edges of pastry.
- Brush edges of square with water.
- Fold pastry over filling, forming a rectangle or triange.
- Press edges gently toseal.
- Brush edges lightly with water again.
- Fold edges up and over about 1/4".
- press edges up and over and about 1/4".
- Press edges with tines of a fork to seal again.
- Place tart on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining squares of pastry and remaining rhubarb mixture.
- Prick top of each 2-3 times with the tines of a fork to let steam escape.
- Gently pat down top to get rid of excess air around filling.
- Brush tops with milk, sprinkle with coarse sugar Bake in a 375F oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
- Remove tarts from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm If you are baking in advance to freeze: Prepare tarts as directed uxcept bake for 20 minutes and cool.
- Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- Transfer to freezer container or sel-sealing freezer bag.
- Seal, label and freeze up to 4 months.
- To reheat: Line a large baking sheet with foil, grease foil Remove frozen tarts from container and arrange on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 10 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 10-15 more or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden.
- Serve as directed.