Recipe by Kat's Mom
This recipe was given to me by a coworker over twenty years ago. It quickly became a family favorite. The card was misplaced when we moved and I was upset. DH just found the card yesterday in a folder and I am thrilled to share it with you. This is one of the few "cream of" recipes we enjoy, although I prefer making my own soup (Cream of Carrot Soup works well). The hard-boiled eggs really make this special. Adding a can of your favorite veggie, drained, makes this a one dish meal. Thanks Rheta, I hope your life has been wonderful.
- 2 -3 cups cooked chicken (shredded or chopped) or 2 -3 cups cooked turkey (shredded or chopped)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can mixed vegetables (optional)
- 8 ounces margarine (1 stick)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Place chicken in a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Place sliced hard boiled eggs on the chicken.
- In a mixing bowl, mix chicken broth and soup.
- Mix in mixed vegetables, if using.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Melt margarine.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour & milk together.
- Add melted margarine and mix this batter until smooth.
- Pour batter over chicken.
- Bake about 40 minutes until batter forms a brown crust.