Recipe by bhingst65
This is a great onion soup recipe I found in a German Cookbook. The special touch is to puree the potatoes which gives the soup its full bodied texture.
- 2 quarts water, salted
- 2 lbs small onion, peeled
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 3⁄4 lb smoked sausage, diced
- 1⁄8 lb bacon, diced and fried
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add peeled onions and cook until tender.
- Boil potatoes separately and puree. Add to onion, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat until thickened. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add sausage, bacon and butter.
- Serve with white bread.