Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Reuben sandwich ingredients - corned beef, Swiss cheese, and cabbage - are rolled in a flaky pastry. A tasty twist on tradition.
- 1 lb thinly sliced corned beef
- 1 (10 ounce) packageshredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 16 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (8 ounces)
- Cut corned beef into 1/2-inch strips; set aside.
- Saute cabbage and next 3 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray 4 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Remove from heat; stir in dressing. Cool.
- Stir together butter and mustard; set aside.
- Unfold phyllo, and cover with a damp towel to prevent pastry from drying out.
- Stack 8 sheets on a flat surface covered with wax paper, brushing every other sheet with the butter mixture. Spoon half of the cabbage mixture lengthwise down half of phyllo stack, spreading to within 2 inches of edges. Top with half of corned beef and half of cheese. Fold in short edges 2 inches.
- Roll up, staring a long edge nearest filling. Place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut 1/4-inch deep diagonal slit, 1 inch apart, across top. Coat strudel with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter mixture, and filling.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cut diagonally into 3- to 4-inch pieces. Serve immediately.