Recipe by BecR
This is my take on the Classic Shrimp Cocktail! Layers of shrimp, avocado, and baby greens nestled in a creamy homemade Marie-Rose sauce, served in chilled cocktail glasses or shot glasses! A lovely appetizer for cocktail parties, holidays or special occasions. I like to nibble on one of these pre-dinner, while sipping my favorite cocktail beverage (a Margarita of course!). I hope you enjoy. Cheers!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled cooked shrimp or 1 1⁄2 lbs prawns, chilled
- 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- Worcestershire sauce, a few drops (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mixed mesclun lettuce leaves
- 1 firm ripe avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- sour cream, to serve
- cracked pink peppercorns
- additional fresh coriander, to garnish
- additional fresh chives, to garnish
- 8 fresh lemon wedges (optional, to decorate)
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve 8 shrimp for decoration.
- In a bowl stir together the ketchup, mayonnaise, Tabasco Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, and lemon juice. Cover and chill for several hours. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- When ready to serve, line 8 chilled cocktail glasses (or use large shot glasses) with baby lettuce leaves. Add a layer of diced avocados, if using, and sprinkle with snipped coriander and chives.
- Arrange several shrimp (about 5) in each glass. The amount of shrimp depends on what size they are. Spoon on the cocktail sauce and lightly mix through the shrimp.
- Finish each cocktail with a small dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle lightly with cracked pink pepper and paprika.
- Sprinkle with additional coriander and chives, and garnish with a shrimp over the edge of the glass.
- Add a lemon wedge, if desired - although the cocktail sauce should be lemony enough!