Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Canadian Living
Make and share this Retro Banana Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Filling: In bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat until bubbles form around edge; whisk into yolk mixture.
- Return to pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until thick enough to mound on spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Scrape into bowl.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate just until cooled, about 2 hours.
- In bowl, stir graham wafer crumbs with butter until moistened; press onto bottom and up side of 9 inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over bottom of crust; spread evenly with back of spoon.
- Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
- Without stirring custard, spoon half over chocolate.
- Arrange banana slices over top, overlapping slightly.
- Top with remaining custard.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- GARNISH: In bowl, whip cream.
- Using piping bag or with spatula, pipe into rosettes or spread to cover top.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate.