Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
How do they get away with charging extra for something this easy? The soup will only be as good as the beef stock so don't use cheap, salty bullion cubes. Make your own stock or use the kind of good soup base that restaurants use. (Tones brand is available at Sam's Club).
- Heat olive oil and butter together in a pan large enough to hold the onions and broth.
- Saute onions very gently in half olive oil and half butter until soft and golden but do not allow them to brown.
- Pour beef stock into the pan with the onions and simmer gently for 1/2 an hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide into oven-proof bowls. Float the stale bread on top.
- Cover with the cheese and broil until the cheese bubbles and browns.
My family loves this recipe and I make it often. I sometimes use large croutons for garnish instead of the stale bread. Our SIL, who is a gourmet cook, wanted the recipe while visiting us. Thanks so much for posting this!
Oh so easy to make up. Since I'm the only one who will eat onion soup, I halved the recipe. The blend of flavors is very good and does rival soup I've had in restaurants. Thanks for posting.