Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple and wholesome - Rei, my Japanese spitz puppy would beg for these! Use any baby food you like as long as there's no onions in the it (some dogs may be allergic to corn too). BTW if your dog is sensitive to wheat, you can also use brown rice flour although amount may vary. Just mix till u get a slightly sticky dough that you roll into balls with.
- 2 (4 ounce) jars baby food (I used carrots, chicken & peas)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 400 g whole wheat flour (approx 3 cups)
- Beat baby food, eggs and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in flour until dough comes together (you might need slightly more/less flour).
- Roll dough into balls (about 1/2 inch) and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Flatten each balls with spoon/fork; bake for 25-35mins at 350°F (depends on how hard and crunchy you want the cookies to be; Rei likes extra crunchy so I baked at 350F for 40mins).
- Remove and cool thoroughly on wire racks; store in airtight container (I store cookies in the fridge to prevent mold).
The dogs are LOVING this. I used canned pumpkin in place of the baby food, 1 banana in place of the 2 eggs, and a mix of brown rice flour and oat flour. I also added cinnamon and rosemary to preserve. I used bone and dog cookie cutters and then dipped them in melted carob. They're still drying on the shelf and my 8 month old standard poodle is sniffing and whining for more!
I have 3 small dogs. All VERY excited over these treats. My Coton de Tulear does her best to steal them from the Havanese, hoarding them in here cheeks. Sadly for my pups I gave half the first batch to friend for her dogs so batch 2 is about to commence!
11/9/12 ADDENDUM: When I don't have baby food on hand (I stock up just for this when it's on sale) I substitute canned pumpkin or baked and mashed sweet potato and my girls love the variations. I also have switched to brown rice flour. Great basic recipe that allows for lots of fun and flexibility!
I've made these a few times now and thought it was about time to let you know how much my little chihuahua'a love them! Very easy to make. Mojo and Scooby can't wait to eat them. They'll come back for more, over and over again. Everytime I walk in the kitchen they follow me thinking they are going to get a treat. I'll never buy treats from the store again, thanks! This is a keeper!