Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are the very quick, easy and tasty beans. A fast side dish that you can have ready in about 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mash beans with fork or spoon.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook until tender.
- Add beans, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until bean liquid starts to evaporate.
- Reduce heat and simmer until desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with cheese over the top.
I used pinto beans instead of black beans. As ms_bold did, I omitted the bean liquid and mixed up a tsp of chicken bouillon to 8 oz of water and added that to the pan for additional liquid. Instead of olive oil, I used an olive oil flavored cooking spray due to being on a fairly strict diet. I'm a garlic lover so added just a little more garlic than suggested. I topped it with some taco sauce and some craft shredded mexican style cheese blend and it tasted great! I'm going to use this recipe as a dip for tortilla chips and maybe some tacos and burritos. Yum!
I wanted to prepare Black Bean Quesadillas for snacking with some friends, but didn't have any refried black beans on hand. This recipe was a simple way to prepare a quick staple of tex-mex food. I did drain my beans before mashing and added chicken stock to the pan for the additional liquid. I omitted the cheese on top, as these were spread inside a quesadilla. Excellent results in my final product and no leftovers. Thanks for posting.