Recipe by Shirleen McCorkle
My mom gave me this recipe. Everyone I have ever cooked these for say they will never eat any other refried beans again. There are not any restaurants beans that can beat these!
Top Review by Donna
These beans are wonderful!! I didnt have monterey jack cheese so I used shredded chedder with jalapenos, afterbthey were done i let them thicken up a bit under low heat... these are as she says... better than restaurant quality, and I live in So. Cal., we know refried beans! this is my recipe for them from now on...Thanks so much Shirleen! Donna;)
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (with or without peppers)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans with water; add chopped onion and bring to a boil.
- Boil 2 minute.
- Take off heat, cover and let sit 1 hours.
- Do not drain water, but again add enough water to cover beans, heat to boiling, turn down heat and cook until beans are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 to 2 hours.
- (add more water if needed during cooking) When beans are done (make sure there is not too much water in the beans), take off heat and mash with a mixer Add margarine, salt, pepper, and cheese and continue to beat with mixer until the beans are soft.