Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
easy and great
- 6 canned jalapeno peppers (or suit yourself)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 lbs dried pinto beans
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork (cubed 1x1x1/4-inch)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Drain, place in a pot, and refill with water to cover the beans and add everything else. Cook very slowly for 4 to 6 hours.
- When the beans are done, test for salt and adjust to our preference.
- **Note this is an adopted recipe so I'm not going to change it but I've made these a couple of times and would give this as an alternative.
- Use half water and half chicken broth to cook your beans in, adding more chicken broth and water as they cook to get the right amount of liquid you want.
- Try using chipotles 2-3 instead of the jalapeno peppers.
- Use fresh jalapeno peppers instead of the canned.
Great beans- my son is a cop, & I took some to the station, where they disappeared before my very eyes! I'm keeping this one, just as it's posted!!