Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Seductive comfort food. One of my family's favourites.
- 5 large eggs
- 473.18 ml evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml milk
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, packed
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1419.54 ml lightly grilled bread, cooled and diced into 1 inch cubes (I use the bbq to grill them)
- 295.73 ml tropical trail mix (dried fruit & nut mix - coarsely chop any large fruit or nut pieces)
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 473.18 ml water
- 4.92 ml lemon juice (I use fresh)
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 59.16 ml evaporated milk
- 29.58 ml whiskey
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl; blend well the eggs, milks, sugars, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg In a 15 x 9 inch glass baking dish, lightly toss bread cubes with tropical trail mix, pour egg mixture over it, letting it rest about 15 minutes Push bread down so it's covered by egg mixture.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Place in larger pan in oven and fill bottom pan with water (approx. 2 inches depending on depth of large pan) Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil, check water level, add more if needed.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Custard should be firm when done.
- Let cool.
- Whiskey sauce; Place sugar in a 2 quart saucepan, brown sugar over medium heat till caramel coloured Add water and lemon juice to sugar, bring to a boil.
- In a small dish mix cornstarch and evaporated milk, add to boiling mixture.
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat and cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir Whiskey into mixture.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.