Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
Credit to Madhur Jaffrey, by way of Deb at www.smittenkitchen.com
Make and share this Red Split Lentils With Cabbage (Masoor Dal Aur Band Gobi) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups split red lentils (masoor dal)
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into fine slices
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 -2 hot green chili pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium tomato, peeled (or not)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Pick over, wash, and drain the lentils.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring the lentils and water to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the top. Stir in the turmeric. Cover pot, with lid slightly ajar, and simmer over low heat for 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 3 to 4 seconds, then add the garlic. Once the garlic pieces start to brown, add the onion, cabbage and green chilies. Cook the cabbage mixture, stirring often, until it starts to brown. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Turn off the heat.
- After the lentils have cooked for 1 1/4 hours, add and stir in the tomato, the ginger, and 1 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage mixture. Stir to mix and allow to simmer uncovered for a few minutes to reheat the cabbage.
Who would have thought that lentils with cabbage would not only be so good, but so easy and healthy too? Try it, really.