Serve it hot or cold with chips, meatloaf, fish or with anything you fancy really!
Make and share this Red Onion, Tomato and Chilli Relish recipe from Food.com.
- Start off by skinning the tomatoes - put the tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them and leave for 1 minute and then drain them and slip off the skins.
- In a food processor, add the onion, tomatoes, chilli and garlic and blend until finely chopped.
- Place the mixture in a saucepan over low heat and add the sugar and vinegar.
- Simmer very gently, without the lid on, for 2 hours, by then the mixture will have reduced to a thick sauce.
- Stir frequently towards the end of cooking time so the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Taste to check the seasoning - serve hot or cold.
Made this today to use later in the week, & then set it out for a group I hosted earlier this evening ~ A BIG HIT with the dipper crowd! Seasoned it with lemon pepper rather than the usual S&P! Will definitely be making this again! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]
I knew this was 5 star before I even made it - I can tell by the ingredients, and these ingredients rang all my bells! SUPERB - I had this with another tagged recipe, Ricotta Fritters, today. I made this a week ago, and left it to "mature and mellow" in the fridge! I made no changes, and I not did I take any photos, as your photo is SO wonderful already - but I might submit a photo when I have used it in another recipe, if you like! If I had any comments to make, it would be that I think it would be great with a bit more onion added - maybe a large onion instead of a small one - but that is just my personal taste! 5 star already and thanks for posting this lovely recipe! FT:-)
As FT suggested I used a large red onion instead of a small one. This was great on my vegetarian burger, also as a dip, a little on the side of my hummus and there is still some left in the fridge.
A very versatile condiment.
Thanks for posting.
Made for P-A-R-T-Y, December 2011.