Prep 48 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Enjoyed at the Gourmet Club cabin visit, May 25, 2002.
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup dried yellow tomatoes, chopped (or other dried tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup flavourful extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse lentils in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Cover with cold water and soak overnight. Drain.
- Cover lentils with clean water and bring to a boil. Add garlic and yellow tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are beginning to break up, skimming any foam that rises to the top. Drain any excess liquid. Using an immersible blender, blend lentils until smooth in pot (alternatively, puree lentil mixture in a food processor).
- Place cumin seeds in a dry saute pan and toast for a few minutes over medium-high heat, until fragrant. Remove, cool and grind in an electric spice grinder or blender.
- Stir cumin into lentil mixture and blend in enough olive oil to make a smooth dip. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hummus with toasted garlic and flatbread or pita chips.