Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This soup is comforting and warming and the fresh herbs add a nice lift to the flavor.
Make and share this Red Lentil, Chickpea (Garbanzo) & Chili Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Heat a large saucepan and dry fry the cumin seeds and chili flakes for 1 min or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough puree, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas.
- Heat gently, season well and stir in the cilantro.
- Finish with a spoonful of the greek yogurt.
Ah, cumin, how I love thee! A fabulous, flavourful soup, and the fresh cilantro adds just the right touch! I didn't need to add any seasoning (apart from a sprinkling of black pepper), I think the veggie stock took care of that, but I did use 1/2 ts of chili flakes and more chickpeas! My GOODNESS this was good - a new soup staple for me, definitely! Thank you so much for sharing!
Yummy and something different! I liked this more than my husband, so we agreed on 4-stars. Great meal for a cold winter night!
We are arguing over who gets the leftover soup for lunch tomorrow - an easy and delicious soup, and basically needs just pantry ingredients. I did add most of the chickpeas with the lentils and blended them all together, which made for a thicker soup. I also added a garlic clove, just because. A squeeze of lemon in the soup bowl brightens the flavor, but it can do without. I added no salt, as had to use canned broth, and we did not miss it at all.