Recipe by English_Rose
This soup is comforting and warming and the fresh herbs add a nice lift to the flavor.
Top Review by stormylee
Ah, cumin, how I love thee! A fabulous, flavourful soup, and the fresh cilantro adds just the right touch! I didn't need to add any seasoning (apart from a sprinkling of black pepper), I think the veggie stock took care of that, but I did use 1/2 ts of chili flakes and more chickpeas! My GOODNESS this was good - a new soup staple for me, definitely! Thank you so much for sharing!
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 large pinch chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 ounces split red lentils
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 7 ounces cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 ounce cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons 0% Greek yogurt, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large saucepan and dry fry the cumin seeds and chili flakes for 1 min or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough puree, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas.
- Heat gently, season well and stir in the cilantro.
- Finish with a spoonful of the greek yogurt.