Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the World's Healthiest Foods website. What they say; "Soups are the perfect warm-up meal. This hearty, spicy bean soup is a great addition to your Healthiest Way of Eating as the days get shorter and the temperature continues to cool."
- 1 onion, medium sized and chopped
- 1 carrot, medium sized and chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, medium sized and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, red
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried and ground
- 2 cups kidney beans, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh and chopped
- Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- Chop carrots and celery.
- Heat 1 tbsp broth in medium-sized soup pot. Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, celery, and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add chicken stock, tomato paste, kidney beans, and spices. Bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Let cool for a few minutes while making lime yogurt.
- Make lime yogurt by combining yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro in separate small bowl.
- Blend soup. Be careful to start blender on low speed so hot soup does not erupt and burn you. And make sure you don't fill blender more than half full.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat, and pour into serving bowls, top with a spoonful of lime yogurt, and serve.