Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
TWANG!!!. To be honest my 6 year old didn't care for the gravy-too zippy for him, but my 11 yr. old, plus DH and myself really enjoyed it. So go easy with the gravy on the little ones. Recipe hails from...You guessed it The Best of Country Cooking 2005
- 1360.77 g boneless beef eye round
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 532.32 ml water, divided
- 35.43 g package onion soup mix
- 44.37 ml cider vinegar
- 29.58 ml louisiana hot sauce
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all its sides in vegetable oil over medium-high heat; drain. In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup water, the soup mix, vinegar and the hot sauce; pour over the roast. Cover and bake at 325' for 2-3 hours, or until tender. (Mine took 2 hours). Transfer to a serving platter, cover with foil and keep warm. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- For the gravy, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into the meat juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat.
This is one of the best beef recipes I've made in a long while. For me and DH it was just the right amount of spice, the meat was fork tender and the gravy to die for. I cooked mine for 1 1/2 hours and it was perfect. Tonight is left overs and can't wait. It went together so easy that it's something that can be used on those really busy days like ours was yesterday and no worries. Think it could also be adjusted pretty easily for the crock pot. Regardless the house smelled so good while this was cooking DH kept coming and asking "when can we eat" that in itself makes this a 5 star recipe for me.
Wonderful! I actually added a lot more hot sauce, cuz we like a zing, and still my DH said it coulda been hotter!!! I had to add water a couple of times during the roasting, a total of about 3 hours. This will become a regular at our house! I served it with garlic mashed potatoes.