Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Stir-fried vegetables with a hot red curry flavor over a mix of rice and barley. Very filling and tasty! I am adopting a vegetarian diet, and this recipe was created when I was experimenting with grains and seasonings- it's now a staple in my kitchen.
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (preferably fresh, but frozen works too)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon red curry ("A Taste of Thai" company makes this)
- 1 cup short-grain rice (sushi rice)
- 2 tablespoons barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 dash salt
- Heat water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and barley, lower temperature to medium/low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a saute pan or wok, add red curry, stir briskly until well dissolved.
- Add vegetables and stir-fry until hot.
- By this point, the rice should be about done (check to make sure rice is soft).
- Spoon rice onto plate or bowl and add vegetables on top.
- Makes a quick filling meal, and it's entirely vegan!
- (the barley added to the rice gives a nice full feeling- barley really sticks to your ribs!).