Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very old recipe taken from my aunt's recipes. It is dated 1954.
Make and share this Red Cinnamon Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond, finely chopped, if desired
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, unbeaten (reserve 1 T. egg white)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup red cinnamon candies
- 5 cups apples, pared and sliced (5 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sift flour with salt into mixing bowl; add almonds.
- Cut in shortening. Blend egg and water; sprinkle over flour mixture while stirring with fork until dough is just moist enough to hold together.
- Divide in half; form into balls. Flatten to about 1/2-in. thickness; smooth edges. Roll out one portion on floured surface to a circle 1-1/2 larger than inverted 9-inch pie pan. Fit loosely into pan.
- Cinna-Apple Filling: Combine sugar, pineapple juice and cinnamon candies. Bring to a boil, for 5 minutes.
- Prepare apples; coat with flour. Add sugar syrup; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour into pastry-lined pan.
- Roll out remaining dough. Cut into strips 3/4 inches wide and crisscross over filling to form lattice over top.
- Trim and seal ends. Fold bottom crust over to cover; flute.
- Brush strips with reserved egg white, slightly beaten. Sprinkle with mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in hot oven 425 degrees 10 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Makes 1 9-inch pie.
This makes a very pretty and absolutely delicious pie. I had pie dough that I made ahead and had frozen and used it instead of the pie-crust recipe included with the recipe; however, the results were most likely the same. The red hots make such a pretty color that peeks through the lattice top. Great pie for the fall and winter holidays. Thanks for sharing this "oldie but goodie"!
OH, this was very yummy!! Decided to look up the recipe when my boyfriend said his granny made the best apple pie with red hots!! He said this tasted just like hers!!! i did cheat a bit and used a store bought, ready to bake pie crust...just the off brand, and it didn't take as long and tasted wonderful. thanks for the recipe!!