Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A sauce with an attitude for incorporating into tamales, etc.
- 6 smoked dried chipotle peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red jalapeno jelly (or 1 tbs honey)
- Stem the peppers but otherwise leave them whole.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add in the peppers and spices. Turn down the heat and simmer until the peppers are completely reconstituted.
- Place the entire mixture into a food processor and cover the machine with a dish towel to prevent splashing the hot liquid. Puree the pepper mixture.
- Strain the mixture to remove the seeds.
- Return to the pot and add the cornstarch and stir until thickened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and jelly (honey).