Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Beautiful entree. Get quality tuna. This tuna is dark and crispy on the outside and beautifully red on the inside. From the cookbook, Santa Fe Hot and Spicy. Can also use tuna steaks vs. the loin. I don't even bother chilling and I sub rice wine vinegar for the mirin.
- 1 cup chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup ground coriander
- 1 lb tuna, loin cut into 2 long narrow pieces that are approximately 1-inch -2-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- For tuna: In small bowl combine the chile powder and coriander. Dredge tuna in mixture so they are well coated.
- In saute pan place olive oil and heat on medium high until it is hot. Sear the tuna 45-60 seconds on each side or until they start to blacken. Remove tuna and refrigerate until cold.
- Slice tuna into 1/8" slices so edges show blackened seasonings. Drizzle with teriyaki glaze.
- Glaze: In medium sauce pan combine all ingredients. Cook on low for 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced by 1/3. Mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Refrigerate.