Recipe by Epp
Growing up in Louisiana and living in New Orleans ten years hooked me on red beans and rice. This is a recipe I've used for years but the first to enter online. It is a simple process I do on a Saturday or Sunday and freeze the leftovers for emergency comfort food. Seasoning is variable and estimated. I tend to not use much salt in my foods.
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2-1 lb hot sausage, tube and not bulk, andouille & Cajun is best
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse red beans and remove any debris.
- Add 7 cups of water, bay leaves, seasoning and the red beans to the crock pot.
- Set crock pot to high setting.
- Let cook for 4-6 hours or until beans soften.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of beans and mash then return to crock pot.
- Cut tube sausage into about 1/8" slices.
- Brown slices in skillet then drain.
- Add sausage slices to red beans.
- Sauce with thicken over time and more so on reheating. If thicker consistency desired, mash more beans and return to crock pot. It will appear a bit thin at this point.
- Cook on low for another 2-3 hours.
- Serve over rice with French bread or similar.
- Add hot sauce, like Tobasco, as desired.