8 hrs 30 mins
Growing up in Louisiana and living in New Orleans ten years hooked me on red beans and rice. This is a recipe I've used for years but the first to enter online. It is a simple process I do on a Saturday or Sunday and freeze the leftovers for emergency comfort food. Seasoning is variable and estimated. I tend to not use much salt in my foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse red beans and remove any debris.
- 2Add 7 cups of water, bay leaves, seasoning and the red beans to the crock pot.
- 3Set crock pot to high setting.
- 4Let cook for 4-6 hours or until beans soften.
- 5Remove about 1/2 cup of beans and mash then return to crock pot.
- 6Cut tube sausage into about 1/8" slices.
- 7Brown slices in skillet then drain.
- 8Add sausage slices to red beans.
- 9Sauce with thicken over time and more so on reheating. If thicker consistency desired, mash more beans and return to crock pot. It will appear a bit thin at this point.
- 10Cook on low for another 2-3 hours.
- 11Serve over rice with French bread or similar.
- 12Add hot sauce, like Tobasco, as desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice With Hot Sausage Using Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 728.7
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 81.9 mg
- Sodium 882.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 42.7 g