1/1 Photo of Really Healthy Really Good Sweet Potato Muffins
2 hrs 15 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
From pastry chef Kim Boyce formerly of Campanile, by way of the LA Times. Amazingly good! Use the dark-skinned sweet potatoes commonly referred to as yams. The long cooking time includes the roasting of the sweet potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb sweet potato (about 2 small)
- vegetable oil, spray for coating the tins
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 dates, Medjool, pitted and cut into 1/4 - to 1/2 -inch pieces
- 1Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- 3Roast for 1 hour or until they are tender when pierced with a fork and are caramelizing.
- 4Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then peel and lightly mash with a fork. Set aside.
- 5Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Lightly spray the muffin tin with vegetable oil.
- 6Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 7In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, whole-wheat flour, whole-grain pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, yogurt, egg and vanilla together.
- 8Scrape down the sides of the butter bowl and alternately add the dry and wet ingredients; do not overmix. Gently fold in the sweet potatoes, then the dates.
- 9Using an ice cream scoop (about one-half cup capacity), scoop the batter into each of 10 prepared muffin cups, about 1 scoop per muffin.
- 10Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The muffins will be dark golden brown on the bottom.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Really Healthy Really Good Sweet Potato Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1074 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.7
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.1 mg
- Sodium 267.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g