Made with Kool-Aid. Another improvisation for my son. The secret is to beat the ingredients very well before adding the flour, and very little when the flour is added.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine well.
- Add 1 1/2 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Do not underbeat.
- Combine Kool-Aid and remaining sugar.
- Beat into margarine mixture.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in baking powder.
- Mix in flour and milk alternately until just combined. Do not overbeat.
- Fill greased and floured baking tins about 2/3 full. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool on racks and frost as desired.
YUM! These are VERY KOOL! I followed Annacia's lead and used 1 c Splenda and strawberry Kool Aid and frosted with butter cream icing tinted with another pack of strawberry. Pretty dark pink treats that the girls adored! Thanks for posting Chocolatl. Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag.
I made these for a friend this morning and he said 5 stars all the way. I used grape Kool Aid and got pretty pale lavender cupcakes. I also used 1 cup of Splenda for the 1 3/4 cups ask for and that was plenty. They baked up extremely light and fluffy and the grape Kool Aid aroma was really fun and pleasant. When cupping them for baking I was thinking that it would be fun to make 2 or 3 batches in different colors and make stripes or swirls. You'd need to make a lot of cupcakes to do that because I got 16 big cakes from this recipe. My friend is also diabetic so I didn't frost them but they would be lovely with a white frosting and and wee sugar flowers the color of the cakes.