Recipe by JoyfulCook
A delicious shortbread topped with jam and coconut! From an old Country Womans Association cookbook in Australia. In imperial measures as this was well before metric arrived!
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
Little did I know this seeminly simple recipe was going to be a learning experience. lol I usually wouldn't assign a full 5 stars if I have to change a recipe, but this case is different. The contrast between the buttery shortbread, the slightly tangy raspberry jam & the crunchy coconut topping is out of this world. DH doesn't like coconut but has helped scarf down three pans of this recipe! First attempt was delicious but we had to eat it with a spoon. I conversed with Joy, then did some research & found that desiccated coconut in my part of the world is commonly sweetened. The extra sugar in the topping made the bars into soup. I ordered through the mail medium grind unsweetened desiccated coconut. Second attempt with the right coconut made a perfect topping but the shortbread wouldn't cook through in the center. Third attempt was a combination of changes my mom & I discussed during her holiday visit while making the second batch. We were able to bring several bars for tasters to Thanksgiving dinner & they were a big hit. Today I have SUCCESS! (DH also located & purchased unsweetened coconut at our local grocery store in the health food section.) My trials may just have something to do with humidity or altitude in my area. I don't know. But the following is what worked for me. I used an 8 1/2 x 10 1/2 stoneware bar cookie pan. Increased the flour by 1/4 cup, decreased the sugar in the cookie to 2/3 cup, spread the dough into the pan & baked it uncovered for 15 minutes. I let it cool for 15 minutes then spread the jam & topping. Baked again for 30 minutes. Followed the rest of the instructions from there. I highly recommend this recipe as it IS very easy & so delicious. Thanks to Joy for sharing this recipe. We'll no doubt be making it again & again!
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a roasting dish with foil, leaving enough room at either end so you can immediately lift it out.
- Beat butter and half of the sugar to a cream. Add 1 beaten egg; mix well, then add the flour. Knead well and cover the base of the pan with the shortbread. It is easy to take small pieces and flatten in your hand first. Spread thinly with raspberry jam.
- Mix the remaining sugar with 1 egg, adding the coconut mix together well. Carefully add all over the top, using a fork to cover properly. Bake at 150°C (300°F) for about 30 minutes. Coconut should be nicely browned.
- Lift out the shortbread as soon as its cooked - using the extra foil on both sides of the roasting dish, place on a cutting board then cut into squares immediately and leave to cool.
- PLEASE NOTE: Don't use sweetened coconut as the sugar in it melts and the syrup from it dilutes the base.