Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living. Requires an ice cream maker.
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh mint sprig
- fresh raspberry
- Process the raspberries in a food processor or blender until smooth (stop to scrape down sides if needed).
- Press raspberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding the solids.
- Add sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla to the raspberry mixture; stir until blended.
- Pour raspberry mixture into the freezer container of a 4-quart ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Garnish each serving with a fresh mint sprig and fresh raspberries.
- Blueberry-Buttermilk Sherbet: substitute an equal amount of fresh or frozen blueberries for raspberries; proceed with recipe as directed; garnish with blueberries and lemon rind strips.
- Blackberry-Buttermilk Sherbet: substitute an equal amount of fresh or frozen blackberries for raspberries; proceed with recipe as directed; garnish with fresh blackberries and lemon rind strips.