Recipe by Vino Girl
I altered a basic applesauce recipe to come up with this flavored version. Other variations can be made by substituting another flavor of jam for the raspberry. Depending on how sweet your apples are and how you like your applesauce, you may need to add a little sugar in with the jam. I used a combination of Macintosh and Red Delicious with about 1/3 cup jam, and thought it was fine without added sugar.
- 3 lbs apples, peeled cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup raspberry jam (or to taste)
- sugar (to taste) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional, helps retain color)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine apples with 1 cinnamon stick, jam, and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender (about 30 to 35 minutes). Add more water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat; remove cinnamon stick.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.
- The sauce will be somewhat chunky. If you prefer it smoother, puree it in a blender or food processor.