Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy little squares.
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 177.44 ml slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter
- 473.18 ml flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 283.49 g raspberry jam
- confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)
- Set the oven at 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Line the pan with waxed paper, letting the sides extend over the edges.
- Butter the paper and dust it with flour.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, work the sugar and almonds until they are finely chopped.
- Remove from the bowl.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add them to the processor with the flour and salt.
- Work in on-off motions until the mixture forms crumbs.
- Mix the yolk with the almond extract.
- Add it to the flour mixture.
- Add the nut mixture.
- Pulse just to combine them.
- Spread more than half the crumb mixture in the prepared pan, patting it down gently.
- Drop the jam over the mixture.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crumbs, patting them very gently.
- It's OK if jam peeks through the crumbs.
- Transfer the pan to the hot oven and bake the mixture for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the jam is bubbling.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack.
- Using the sides of the waxed paper, slide the rectangle of dough onto the rack.
- Let it cool completely, then set it on a cookie sheet and chill the dough.
- Use a serrated-edge knife in a sawing motion to cut the dough into 18 bars.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.