Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a combo of a couple recipes with adjustments to my own taste. Prep time is soaking time. Recipe can be doubled if need be....adjust to your own taste. ENJOY!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (I use Trappey's)
- 6 catfish fillets (give or take)
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour, unbleached
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea or kosher)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- oil, for frying (prefer Canola or Corn Oil)
- Rinse fillets in cold water & pat dry.
- Place fillets in a covered dish or zip-lock bag.
- Mix buttermilk & hot sauce together & pour over fillets.
- Place in fridge overnight.
- Stir every couple hours, if possible, but do it AT LEAST once.
- Next day, combine dry ingredients.
- Drain fillets, but do not rinse.
- Heat oil in skillet to 375° (I use an electric skillet).
- Roll fillets in flour mixture, shaking off excess -- let set for 10 minutes.
- Place fillets in hot oil, but like chicken, DO NOT CROWD -- cook in batches, if need be.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve hot w/ your favorite sauce.