Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from a Beth Hensperger recipe. Prep time does not include overnight soaking of oatmeal and dried cranberries.
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (NOT instant oats)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (or Splenda brown sugar baking blend)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour (use 1 1/2 cups if you keep and use the cranberry soaking liquid)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Soak dried cranberries in 1/2 cup water overnight. Soak oats in 1 cup buttermilk overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375F (gas mark 5, 190C).
- Stir brown sugar, oil, and eggs into the soaked buttermilk and oats mixture
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until moistened and let stand while preparing the tin. We use a pop-over tin and this makes 6 muffins, but a regular muffin pan can be used if you adjust the cooking time. Lightly spray or oil the tin. Fill the cups to the brim. Bake for 20-25 minutes (or until browned and firm or they pass the toothpick test). Let cool slightly after removing from the tin.
A very hearty and tasty muffin. Just the right amount of sweetness for us. Wouldn't change a thing. Made for Spring 2013 PAC game.