Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This is a little different than your typical cornbread. It is very moist and so delicious!It is from a small restaurant in Rhode Island that was built in the 1700's. Food is still cooked over a wood fire in the original fireplace.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream eggs and sugar.
- Add salt, milk and oil; Mix well.
- Slowly add cornmeal to mix;.
- Slowly add flour and baking powder; Mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- IMPORTANT: Let mix stand for 24 hours in refrigerator before baking.
- Pour into 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in 300 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.