Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy and delicious. These go great with cornbread.
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 8 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 ounces green chilies, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- green onion, chopped
- Rinse beans in cold water. Place in 4-quart kettle. Add hot water, onion and garlic.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hrs., until tender. Add more water if needed.
- Fry bacon crisp, reserving 1 tablespoons of drippings. Crumble bacon.
- Peel tomatoes. Strain seeds and discard, saving juice. Chop pulp.
- Saute' tomatoes with juice and chiles in bacon drippings 10 minutes until reduced slightly. Add to beans. Add bacon.
- Cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes to blend flavors. Add salt.
- Serve in small bowls as a meat accompaniment. Sprinkle with green onions.