Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a post on vegpeople.com. Original is vegan, but we like it with feta cheese. Serve over grains or pasta. We love it as pizza- crust, no sauce with a balsamic vinegar reduction dribbled over it. Can you say Yumm?
- 2 lbs rainbow chard leaves, ends trimmed (or other variety of Swiss chard)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup dried fig, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- salt and pepper
- feta cheese, to taste
- Coarsely chop the chard and add it to a pot of boiling salted water. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside. (You can also just braise it; it cooks in about the same time.)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the figs and pine nuts and cook until the pine nuts are lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the chard and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until warmed, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese, if desired.
My favorite recipe for Rainbow Chard! I made it without the feta but will try it that way the next time. And there WILL be a next time.
Phenomenal! I used this as a pizza topping as you suggested, and it was quick and tasty. I was surprised how much I liked the crunchy pine nuts on the pizza. This was my first time trying Rainbow Chard!
Thanks for this great recipe! I was looking for something interesting to do with the rainbow swiss chard we get from our crop share and this was perfect! Very yummy and very easy! Next time I'll add a few more figs...they really worked nicely with the pine nuts and feta.