We have a group of girlfriends who get together every so often for a night together, either out or at someone's house. My turn is always right before Xmas holidays and we've made a tradition of having Raclette night. Here's our fun variation on the authentic Swiss/French Raclette meal. I purchased my T-fal brand "Swiss Raclette with Grill for 8 people" at http://thekitchenstore.com. Raclette cheese is sold in fine cheese stores, at Trader Joes (for a lot less $$) if their store is close to you or it can be ordered on-line from http://www.igourmet.com/. igourmet.com also has a French sausage called Campagne Saucisson that I'd like to try next time. We served both red and white wines - beer is also nice. Cooking time will be for as long you and your guests want to sit at the table. Be sure to include a decadant chocolate dessert for the end of your meal - chocolate macaroons are especially nice. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38-907.18 g raclette cheese
- 226.79-453.59 g yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 907.18 g small red potatoes (about 6 per person)
- 6 link sweet Italian sausage links (or a sausage of your choice)
- 149.68 g very thinly sliced top quality prosciutto
- 149.68 g very thinly sliced black forest ham
- 453.59 g shaved or very thinly sliced beef steak (optional)
- 2-3 medium portabella mushrooms
- 2 fresh red peppers, roasted to remove skin or 2 bottled roasted red peppers
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- salad greens
- 1 can mandarin orange segments
- 236.59 ml toasted walnuts (or so)
- 1TO DO AHEAD, steps 1 - 5 (about 30 - 45 minutes prep time: Cut rind off Raclette cheese and slice about 1/4” thick and in a size to fit your raclette trays. Slice the cheddar cheese the same way. Arrange on a platter, cover and refrigerate.
- 2Slice the Portobello mushrooms 1/4” thick, (or buy already sliced). Slice the peppers in long strips. Put mushrooms and peppers into a Ziploc bag. Mix or preferably emulsify together Good Seasons Italian dressing package with balsamic and olive oil. Pour into the Ziploc, close and gently shake to coat everything. Marinate for no more than half a day. Arrange on a platter, (We put it on an oval one, red pepper strips in the middle and mushrooms on each end - pretty!), cover and refrigerate.
- 3Brown the sausages on all sides in a skillet. When nice and browned, boil them until just done, still a little pink in the middle. When they are cool enough to handle, slice them about 1/4” thick and on a slight diagonal. Arrange on a platter with the ham slices, (step 4).
- 4Separate the proscuitto and ham slices. Cut them in half and arrange them on a platter - we took each slice and made a sort of rosette out of it so they were easier to pick up and put the sausages in the middle with the hams on either side.
- 5Put shaved beef in a Ziploc bag. Pour in your marinade of your choice, close the bag and shake to mix well. (We emulsified together some olive oil, bourbon, a garlic clove, about a T. of Grey Poupon mustard, a splash of balsamic and black pepper.) Marinate for an hour to several hours. Drain the marinade off the steak; try to separate the slices, make “rosettes” and arrange on a platter BY ITSELF since it’s a raw meat; cover and refrigerate.
- 6AN HOUR BEFORE EATING, step 6: Take everything out of the refrigerator (at least an hour before eating) so they’re room temperature.
- 7ABOUT 20 MINUTES BEFORE EATING, steps 7 - 9: Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the potatoes till just done – fork tender but not falling apart. Drain and place in a covered dish.
- 8Put your greens in a salad bowl. No more than 20 minutes before eating, toss with your favorite vinaigrette (we made our own with wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and dried dill), orange sections and walnuts.
- 9Turn on your Raclette grill. I taped the grill's electric cord to the table so it wouldn’t be accidentally jerked off if someone tripped over the extension cord. Of course, I tripped over the cord - thank GOD it was taped down!
- 10DINNER'S READY!!: Put everything on the table and enjoy! We used sandwich plates instead of dinner-size plates and everyone had their own salad bowl, which we dished up and took to each person at the table. We also used fondue forks for stabbing and grabbing. DELICIOUS!!! And a lot of fun!
- 11For those of you who've not done this yet: Each person takes the cheese they want and what they want to grill on the top of the raclette maker and then"cooks" his own meal. The Raclette (or cheddar) cheese is melted in small pans underneath the grill top. When the cheese is melted it is poured over the potatoes. The meats and veggies are grilled on the top of the appliance. DELICIOUS!!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raclette American Style
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.4
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 76.0 mg
- Sodium 1182.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: