Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fast, comforting, and super easy!
Make and share this Rachael Ray's Papa Al Pomodoro - Stale Bread Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onions or 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 4 cups chopped or torn stale bread (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, such as Goya brand (smaller than cannellini beans)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass at table
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and 3/4 of the onion.
- Cook 7 to 8 minutes, then add tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock and raise heat to make the soup bubble.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add bread and beans.
- Stir soup as it simmers until it thickens to a stew-like consistency.
- Turn off heat, adjust seasonings and ladle into shallow bowls.
- Top with grated cheese, an additional drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a spoonful of reserved finely chopped raw onions.
- Torn basil is an optional garnish.
My family loved it! It was a terrific snowy day meal. What a great use for old bread!
This is the best soup I've ever had. Absolutely delicious, fresh, healthy, and so easy to do. Make this!
I loved the idea of this but the end result didn't really wow us, it was okay but not something I'd rush to make gain, thanks for posting though, it's always good to try something new even if it's not your cup of tea!