Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fast, comforting, and super easy!
Make and share this Rachael Ray's Papa Al Pomodoro - Stale Bread Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onions or 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 4 cups chopped or torn stale bread (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, such as Goya brand (smaller than cannellini beans)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass at table
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and 3/4 of the onion.
- Cook 7 to 8 minutes, then add tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock and raise heat to make the soup bubble.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add bread and beans.
- Stir soup as it simmers until it thickens to a stew-like consistency.
- Turn off heat, adjust seasonings and ladle into shallow bowls.
- Top with grated cheese, an additional drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a spoonful of reserved finely chopped raw onions.
- Torn basil is an optional garnish.