Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The dark Indonesian palm sugar (gula jawa) is what really makes this recipe shine, however it can be rather challenging to find in the US. It comes in plugs which have to be carefully shaved down with a knife, but the incredible flavor it has is more than worth the work involved. If you can't find it at your local Asian market, dark brown sugar works decently as well.
- 1⁄2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2⁄3 cup dark indonesian palm sugar or 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup turbinado sugar (raw)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup dark chocolate, baking chunks
- 1⁄3 cup cashews, broken
- Cream sugars and coconut oil together.
- Beat in the egg. If you have been lucky enough to find gula jawa, it will require more stirring to dissolve the chunks as much as possible.
- Gradually stir in the flour and soda, and then mix in the chips and cashews.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes.