1/1 Photo of Quinoa With Gooseberry, Rhubarb, Fennel and Turnip
1 hr 30 mins
Diann is Cooking's Note:
I was looking for something to do with gooseberries and rhubarb, without making a dessert, looking for something to bring out their tartness in a main dish (although this could be served as a side). I used the dried wakame seaweed from Emerald Cove, the pack that says "ready to use" -- these are small flakes that are easy to manage. You can replace this with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare your veggies: Rhubarb should be cut into approximately 2 inch lengths, and thick pieces could be sliced in half. Turnips should be chopped into 1/4-1/2 inch chunks. Gooseberries should have their tails and tops pinched off. For the fennel, I used the upper half of the stalks from one fennel. These stalks were chopped into 1-2 inch lengths, and the leaves were included. (You can use other parts if convenient).
- 2Simmer rhubarb for approximately 15 minutes in water.
- 3Add in the turnips, gooseberries and fennel; simmer for another fifteen minutes.
- 4Drain the pot, reserving the liquid.
- 5Set aside the vegetables in a bowl, mix in the nutmeg.
- 6Cook the Quinoa at a ratio of 2 parts liquid to 1 part quinoa. Use the reserved liquid, adding in additional water if necessary, and bring back to a boil Add the quinoa (rince it first in cold water), fennel seeds and dried seaweed (or salt). Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer about 15 minutes.
- 7Mix the cooked quinoa into the vegetables, and add the vinegar, and mix again. Serve immediately as a hot dish, or chill in refrigerator and serve as a salad over a crunchy lettuce.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quinoa With Gooseberry, Rhubarb, Fennel and Turnip
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.8
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 34.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried seaweed flakes