Recipe by Bunny Erica
I have been trying to find tasty ways to eat more quinoa, but find a lot of dishes a bit too stodgy. This is a delicious light and crispy salad adapted from a recipe by Flip Shelton from her book 'Green'.
Top Review by CJane
Oh yes! This is what I was looking for when I went searching for a new way to use quinoa! Great "any night" recipe, that makes a good lunchbox addition the next day. The sesame seeds really add to the great flavor. This salad won't be the most flashy thing you ever ate, but it has a nutty, fresh and complex flavor that's really nice. It would also be a nice stand-in for tabbouleh. Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium courgette, grated (zucchini)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, thinly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly.
- Dry-fry the quinoa in a saucepan for about 5 minutes until it browns slightly. The grains will start to pop.
- In a seperate saucepan boil the water with a pinch of salt.
- Add the quinoa to the boiling water and return to the boil.
- Simmer until all the water is absorbed - about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a serving bowl mix the courgette, carrot, celery, parsley and seeds.
- Add the cooled quinoa into the mixing bowl and mix with other ingredients.
- Pour over and mix the lemon juice and oil - season with salt and pepper to taste.