Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
THis recipe was published in a local free magazine and was credited to Lizzie Kocon who is a local chef in Newcastle. Lots of ingredients, but posted as a main meal. Be sure if you are gluten-free that your roast chicken is suitable (Woolworths have started making their deli roast chickens gluten-free). You can vary the ingredients to suit what you have on hand - like swapping kumera for the pumpkin etc
- 200 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 whole bbq chicken
- 200 g mixed lettuce leaves
- 150 g baby spinach leaves
- 150 g baby rocket (arugula)
- 1 medium lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinkly sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, thinly sliced (sweet bell pepper)
- 250 g grape tomatoes, halved (can use cherry tomatoes)
- 1 pear, cut into thin wedges (Packham pear suggested)
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cashews (use roasted and salted cashews)
- 200 g feta cheese
- honey mustard dressing or balsamic dressing or caramelised balsamic dressing, to serve
- Prehest oven to 180°C (160°C if using fan-forced).
- Place pumpkin on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and honey and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake pumpkin 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden and tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place quinoa in a saucepan. Cover with two cups of cold water. BRing to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove flesh from chicken, SHred flesh and cover to keep warm.
- Toss lettuce, spinach, rocket, cucmber, carrot, capsicum, tomatoes, pear and avocado together in a large bowl.
- TOp the salad with the pumpkin, chicken, quinoa, cashews and add crumbled feta cheese.
- Drizzle the salad with oil, honey-mustard dressing or balsamic vinegar. Serve.