Recipe by Chef Kate
A good savory quick bread, excellent with cheese for a snack or lunch or as an accompaniment to a vegetable stew sort of meal. From Mark Bittman in the New York Times.
Top Review by blucoat
For an even moister loaf, use yogurt instead of buttermilk. For Lighter Whole Wheat Quick Bread: Use 1-1/2 cups whole wheat and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; omit cornmeal. Substitute honey for molasses. Beat 1 egg into wet ingredients in Step 4. Proceed with recipe.
- oil or butter, for greasing pan
- 1 2⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (about 12 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.F.
- Grease an 8-by-4-inch or 9-by 5-inch loaf pan, preferably nonstick.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Stir molasses into buttermilk.
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients (just enough to combine) then pour into loaf pan.
- Bake until firm and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.