Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A good savory quick bread, excellent with cheese for a snack or lunch or as an accompaniment to a vegetable stew sort of meal. From Mark Bittman in the New York Times.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.F.
- Grease an 8-by-4-inch or 9-by 5-inch loaf pan, preferably nonstick.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Stir molasses into buttermilk.
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients (just enough to combine) then pour into loaf pan.
- Bake until firm and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
For an even moister loaf, use yogurt instead of buttermilk. For Lighter Whole Wheat Quick Bread: Use 1-1/2 cups whole wheat and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; omit cornmeal. Substitute honey for molasses. Beat 1 egg into wet ingredients in Step 4. Proceed with recipe.
This made a beautiful large loaf, but we had a hard time finishing it. It was much too sweet for us to have with the soup I had made and so we just snacked on it. I don't think will make it again as we are used to less sweet bread.