Deb Wolf's Note:
This recipe saves time by making use of the excellent commercial spaghetti sauces that are available.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb 96% extra lean ground beef (see hints at end of recipe if you can't get 96% lean beef)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (18 ounce) jar traditional style spaghetti sauce (not marinara sauce)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1Mix ground beef and cold water in a cold dutch oven. The beef will absorb the water like a sponge. As it cooks, the water will keep the ground beef from forming large clumps.
- 2Place over high heat.
- 3Add onion and spices. Stir occasionally.
- 4Allow meat to cook until all water evaporates.
- 5Cook a few minutes longer until the beef gets browned like the outside of a hamburger. The browning makes the sauce richer.
- 6Turn down the heat to simmer and add the jar of spaghetti sauce. Stir to combine.
- 7If you want a thinner sauce, add a 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes.
- 8Heat through.
- 9Hints: * If you can't get 96% lean ground beef, proceed with recipe, except don't allow the water to evaporate. Drain off the water and fat and return the meat mixture to the pot to brown.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick & Thick Spaghetti Sauce With Meat
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.6
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 483.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 18.1 g