Recipe by Ridgely
I attended a whole wheat bread making class at our extension office and this was the recipe that was prepared. I made it the very next day, turned out light, soft and wonderful! Just a note: this recipe uses "instant" yeast. Instant yeast is a quick rising yeast and does not need two risings to make excellent bread. I use SAF brand.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Great bread! This will now be my go-to recipe. I used the vegetable oil and brown sugar and 2T of Red Star Bread Machine yeast (their website says it's the same as instant yeast: http://www.redstaryeast.com. Lots of other good bread making tips there too.) I read someplace that lemon juice and vital wheat gluten are both important for making good bread. I don't remember all the details, but it had something to do with chewiness vs. crumbliness. Must be true because this bread turned out great. I've had problems in the past with homemade bread falling apart for sandwiches, not this one, it was perfect! I didn't worry about the order of ingredients. I actually mixed all the liquids, then the yeast and gluten. Then added the flour. The last cup I reserved to work in during kneading. I like having only to wait for it to rise once. Made two good sized loaves. Will be making often!
- 3 cups hot water (about 120 degrees )
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or butter)
- 1⁄4 cup honey (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 7 -8 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients in the order listed to bread mixing bowl.
- Using a dough hook, mix well and add more flour if needed so that the dough cleans the sides of the bowl (dough should be slightly tacky.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 to 3 loaves depending on the size of your pans. Add dough to sprayed pans.
- Cover with tented plastic or cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 for the last half hour of rising. It is ready to go in the oven when the dough is doubled in bulk.
- Turn oven down to 350 and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take out of pans and let cool on wire rack.
- Brush tops with melted butter to keep crusts soft.
- additional ingredients may be added:.
- decrease water by 1/4 cup and add two beaten eggs. Eggs add flavor, liquid, color, structure, nutrients and tenderness to breads.
- Cracked wheat:.
- Add 1/2 cup uncooked cracked wheat for each 4 cups of flour. If using uncooked cracked wheat the bread will be somewhat crunchy. cooking the cracked wheat first will add a variety of texture without the crunch feel. Many people like to put oatlems or other cooked cereals into their bread. As a guidelin, use 1/2 cup or less per 4 cups of flour.
- They add a sweet, rich flavor to breads. Add 1/2 cup to 4 cups flour and reduce water by 1/4 cup.