Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy coconut cream pie made with toasted coconut and meringue
- 1 prepared pie crust, shell
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk or 2 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 5 1⁄8 ounces instant vanilla flavor pudding and pie filling
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Bake prepared pie crust according to package directions. Cool before filling.
- Place coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Cool.
- Pour cold milk into a large bowl. Add pudding mix. Beat with electric mixer on lowest speed or by hand with whisk for 2 minutes. Reserve 2 TBS of toasted coconut to sprinkle on meringue topping. Stir remainder of coconut into the thickened pudding mix. Pour into pie crust.
- For meringue, beat egg whites, cream of tarter, and sugar with electric mixer on highest speed until stiff. Cover the pie filling to the edges of the crust. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool and store pie in refrigerator.