Recipe by Irmgard
This is another recipe that I found in Chatelaine magazine and that I have served my family many times to rave reviews. The original recipe called for Chunky chicken a la king soup which is not available in every supermarket so I substituted Uncle Ben's Country Chicken simmer sauce. It is tasty and easy to prepare, even on a work night!
- 1 can chicken a la king soup (or 1 jar Uncle Ben's Country Chicken simmer sauce)
- 4 cups california-blend frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans)
- 3 cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 7 ounces packages frozen puff pastry, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour simmer sauce into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Rinse vegetables under cold water to remove ice crystals, then add to saucepan.
- Set over medium heat.
- Cut up chicken into bite-sized chunks.
- Stir into vegetable mixture, along with tarragon.
- Cover saucepan.
- When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour mixture into a 6-cup casserole dish or deep 10-inch pie plate.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Place over filling in casserole dish.
- Trim pastry to 1 inch beyond rim of dish.
- Seal by pinching pastry firmly against edge of dish.
- Slash steam vents in top.
- Bake in centre of oven until pastry is golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.